Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

     Today is Father's Day and I wanted to take the time to talk about my dad. When it comes to athletics my dad was an awesome baseball player. Then again, Peebles didn't have football, he was too short for basketball, and my dad hates hockey (he can't skate). He did get his hitting genes from his dad. Big Ralph could hit a ton and listening to people talk about it is like hearing a tall tale. "One time, Ralph hit a ball so hard it went over the Peebles High School and reports were that it was spotted in Maysville." Who am I to judge? He was hitting balls better than me the last time we were at the diamond. They say talent skips a generation, which is why I royally suck at baseball more than anything else.

     Nowadays my dad doesn't play baseball much, but usually you can find him playing horseshoes. He used to have a three-wheeler, thankfully he got rid of it. He was crazy dangerous on it, and if we didn't get rid of it, I'd probably not be writing this today. So thanks dad and mom for getting rid of it. I appreciate it. So does Jess.

     When it comes to watching sports, my dad isn't a big pro sports fan. He loves College Sports and the Little League World Series. My dad actually buys the College Football Package from DirectTV. That might not seem like a big deal to you, dear reader, but let me tell you. That is HUGE. It's like 200 bucks! I can't tell you the last time my dad spent 200 bucks on anything else. Maybe their car. My parents have no movie channels, but on Saturday if you want to see Northern Illinois vs Middle Tennessee State, come to their house.

     College Sports fit my dad's personality. He's not one to boast, other than about the computer he built. He doesn't like the pro sports because its all about the money. He's an honest man, and I think that's one reason he doesn't like Pete Rose. Even though Pete is a lot like my dad with his work ethic, he cheated. My dad won't tolerate a cheater, no matter what else they did. I respect that. You know what you're getting with my dad. He's a fine husband, (I'm told) a great guy, and a super dad. One day I hope that I can be as good at those three things as he is, because I'll never be that good of a ball player, sorry dad.

     Happy Father's Day, to my dad and all the other Dads out there.

4 comments:

  1. That ball might not have made it to Maysville, but a little old lady swears it went thru her dining room window in Aberdeen.

    Great post, Randy. Thanks so much. And he ended up with a pretty awesome son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing such a great blog. I'm proud to be your dad and I love and respect you. Say hi to Jess and hope to see you soon.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. great blog, Randy. You have always spoken very highly of your dad =)
    Very nice tribute for Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tribute, Randy. I'm guessin' that right about now your dad is glad he got rid of the three wheeler!

    ReplyDelete