Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Don't Take This Personal

     There is a disconnect between most athletes and fans. The most recent example was LeBron's post game tirade. If you haven't seen it, here's a sample:

     "Because at the end of the day, all the people that was rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today. They have the same personal problems they had today." - LeBron James


     And he's right, when I woke up after they lost, I still was without a full-time job. My bank account still only contains 3 digits. I still don't have a BMW in the driveway of my 30,000 square foot compound. There were two things that really bothered me about what he said, he didn't take responsibility for his team losing and instead of addressing supporters, he addresses his haters.

     Why feed to the trolls? If you are so worry more about the people that don't like you, eventually, nobody will like you. Instead of making remarks like that, hit the gym and make yourself better. LeBron, you CAN be the "Chosen 1" you CAN dominate any and every game. That's what drives me crazy. I want to hate you because I know you will dismantle my favorite team effortlessly, not because you cowardly hide behind your words.

     LeBron is the latest in a long line of athletes that play the, "you're just jealous you aren't me" card. Sure, I'd love to make that kind of money, I'd like to make Jerome Simpson money. But that's not the reason for the hate. This is a career for athletes; it's their livelihood. However to sports fans, this is entertainment. At the end of the day, pro sports are something we like to talk about, argue about, and just watch like any other form of entertainment.

     I have no personal issues with LeBron James. Or any other athlete, except maybe Kimo. (Curse you Kimo) Athletes that take what we say personally need to get over it. If you're on TV, people are going to dissect you. That's how it works. Instead of taking shots at the people that make you relevant, change their opinions by proving them wrong. Show them you are willing to put in the time to earn your spot.

     There was a time that I hated Kobe Bryant. He was an arrogant ball hog that only got to where he was because of Shaq. He was a diva, that drove his teammate and coach out of town. Even prompting Phil Jackson to write a book about him. But then something happened, Kobe starting winning again. Kobe didn't seemed to let his play do the talking for him. He worked his butt off and became the best player in the world. What a concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment