Friday, May 20, 2011

Hero

     What is a hero? Is it someone that saves a life? Someone that takes you under their wing and looks out for you? Someone that inspires you? A hero can mean a lot of different things. Randy Savage was my hero.

     Did I know Randy personally? No. It would have been cool to meet him, maybe share a few words, and talk about how everyone named Randy thinks everyone else named Randy is awesome (which is true, by the way). Randy was one of my heroes because there was something different about him. He didn't act like the other wrestlers, he really didn't look like them either. Most 1980's wrestlers were huge jacked up guys, but he was smaller, he jumped off the top rope, he hit people with objects, and he had this look in his eye that just looked a little bit off. He was a Savage.

     A lot of people will remember him differently that I will. Maybe it's the Slim Jims. "Jealous Eyes". The horrible rap album. OOOOOO YEAH! Whatever then reason, anyone born in or before the 80's probably knows who he is.

     I'll remember Randy Savage as a guy that entertained people. Someone who wanted to make sure everything went the way it was supposed to. In his book, Ric Flair mentioned how Savage wanted to meticulously go over everything to make sure their match was awesome. I've seen a video on-line where he missed his famous elbow drop and instead of finishing the match, he went back to the top and made sure he did it right for the fans. There is a another video where another work breaks character and starts laughing during a backstage event. So Randy slaps her in the face to get her back in character, on live TV. Don't mess with Savage.

     When I was a kid, I wanted to be a wrestler. I wanted to climb to the top rope extend my arms to the sky and land the flying elbow. Just like my hero. I'll never get to do that but I will follow in Randy's footsteps and be an entertainer. Follow my dreams and demand perfection from myself and those around me. Thank you Randy for the memories. Thank you for being awesome. Thank you for being my hero.

Rest In Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment