Sunday, May 29, 2011

Debating the Debate

     Debates are a big part of sports. Without them, I wouldn't have much to write about. As the summer wears on, I'll be sure to attack some of the age old controversies and debates, but today I want to stop a debate. I guess I am debating on whether there is a debate to debate about. LeBron vs Michael Jordan.

     Scottie Pippen has been the butt of some jokes on Twitter (#ScottiePippenTweets) by a ton of people including myself. In fairness to Scottie, he said LeBron COULD be better than Michael Jordan. Fair enough. It's blown up however, that Scotte thinks LeBron is better than his former running mate. ESPN, sports radio, and even lowly bloggers are throwing in their two cents.

     I'm not going to debate that MJ is better than LBJ. That's not a debate. It's way too early. MJ has 6 Titles, LeBron 0. MJ has the highest career PPG average and was first team defense every full season he played from 1988 to 1998. MJ was also a 5 time MVP and a 6 time Finals MVP. So yea, that's a beefy list of awesomeness.

     LeBron needs to be compared with his peers right now. Once his career is nearing its end THEN we should talk all-time stuff. Remember Ken Griffey, Jr? He could have gone down as the greatest player that ever played. Injuries happened. Age happened. Years on the road happened. As much as I didn't like LeBron for his "Decision", but I want to see where his career can go. How high can he reach? And when the dust settles, where will he rank beside Jordan, Bird, and the Big O.

     But before we get to them, he needs to show he's better than Kobe, Kevin Durant, and the rest of  his contemporaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment